Friday, July 3, 2015

Freeform Friday: A Room of One's Own...

"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." Virginia Woolf  

“Women need a space to be creative -- creativity thrives in solitude.” SARK

I can't imagine a more inviting scene: calm dog, sunlight streaming in... (all the clutter is out of this view. )

 Virginia Woolf penned that famous line 86 years ago. And while the status of women's culture is much improved in regards to education, voting... the quote still resonates with me. I have a room, where I can create in solitude, and abandon. I can make a mess and not clean it. I can leave work strewn about until the Muse returns to guide my hands. My studio is more than a room though. Its a sanctuary, a safe haven, a hide out. Its a treasure trove of gems and art supplies to rival a dragon's hoard. Its filled with memories and potential, and its 100% me.

We have been discussing workspaces of late on the blog, cleaning, organizing... and I was sadly missing mine. Before summer I was working in THIS studio a few days a week, alternating with the ceramics studio; achieving a creative balance so to speak. Then an intensive teaching and show schedule, and a bout of sick derailed me. Wednesday and Thursday this week I was back in the studio. Oh how I missed it!
Vignettes and a WIP: Beads by Susan and Karen nestled in a teacup, my abandoned daily art journals, new materials to play with from ICE Resin, a beaded bezel in progress, seals and mermaid treasure waiting their turn. 
I started to panic. WHAT was I going to work on?! WHERE to start? SO MANY things I want to do/try/finish/start/create.... I started with cleaning a little. It was so nice to BE in the studio that I relaxed into the small chores. I am organized, a Virgo trait I embrace, and it makes me feel calm and receptive, ready... when things are put away and I have space to work. Its cathartic. 

Antique watch crystals. Vintage images. Polymer. Stay tuned for BeadFest 2015

This is the place of creative incubation. At first, you may find nothing happens there. But, if you have a sacred place and use it, take advantage of it, something will happen. (Joseph Campbell)

The gorgeous kiln bounty from the wood fire. Shrines awaiting interior elements. 
People who aren't artists seem to not understand exactly what a studio is. It's not a store. It's not a factory. It's not a theme park. It's my personal space and their company is not so invasive. (Eleanor Blair)

Recognize the adorable critters from Rebekah? Mixed media pocket shrines inspired by her beads. 

Room service? Send up a larger room. (Groucho Marx) (See video at end of post)

An artist's studio should be a small space because small rooms discipline the mind and large ones distract it. (Leonardo da Vinci)

I think it wants to be a wall hanging, Lesley. With cobalts and iridescence, and stars and swirls. 
Does it sound silly to say I feel better having spent time with my stuff? Because I do. I did little more than clean and organize on Wednesday; hope to actually work on Thursday. But I had missed my little room so! I still have a million things to do. I still panic when the emails remind me that Bead Fest is 7 WEEKS away!!! But I feel ready to tackle it, a bit more grounded, a bit more in touch with my self, my Muse, and all that...

So tell me -
Do you have a room of your own? A space for creativity? Solo space? Shared space? And how often do you get to go there?!

I leave you with a song by the White Stripes. A tiny little song, but its so true! Give it a listen - Im off to the studio! 









16 comments :

  1. I dont have a space of my own to create jewelry, I just work around the house. At the college where I teach I do have a small cabin, but I mostly use it for talking to students or working on the comp so not much work gets done there.In my opinion, Having your own space is a boon, but it is not a must inorder to create

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree - a creator will MAKE it happen regardless of a designated space. I am thrilled to have ample room to work, as it is my full time job. Studio space as creative office...

      Delete
  2. I completely the opposite as far as organised goes....my space fills to the point where I have to clean up but yes - I do agree it is cathartic. My studio is a very important space and the first place I go every day after making coffee and feeding the cat and there are days when I only come out for necessities. Can't wait to sea how that wall hanging develops - I thin kthat hare will be very much at home in your space Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - I hope to have a WIP to show you in person, my dear!

      Delete
  3. I have a whole room to myself which is one of the advantages of an empty nest. I have tables on every wall with lots of shelving. And it's still a mess! But have space for my kiln, all my enameling and fused glass supplies, a metal working area and some space for art work, too. It is my happy place and I spend time there every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my own room to work in. It started out as a combined studio and guest room but my stuff overwhelmed the guest room . I spend every day in my studio since I have retired and polymer clay and jewelry are my main activities. also since I developed health problems so I've become quite sedentary but my art keeps me occupied and fulfilled. My studio is total chaos because I fluctuate back and forth between clay and jewelry and like to have everything available at all times. About every 3 months I have to do a major reorganization when I can no longer find anything and when it becomes too hazardous to get around in here! I'm doing 3 more sales this summer as well so I have everything ready to go for them.I wanted to include a picture but can't figure out how to add it to my comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep threatening to knock down the wall between my studio and the guest room...

      Delete
  5. I took over the unused family room last year. I live with hubby and sons so there is guy stuff everywhere. My studio is more girly with Spring colors, my orchids and a window to watch the birds. I love it and feel relaxed the minute I walk in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the basement which has a couple rooms in it that are mine. One is my office where I telecommute to my paying job but I also have my laptop in there. I have a huge U desk though so I think I am going to bring my paper supplies in there so I can play in my down time. And I have my studio where I bead. I do actually have the rest of the basement too but it isn't organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basement is good, especially so much space. My ceramics area is in the unfinished basement so I can be a bit messy!

      Delete
  7. I had a studio built when I bought my house (after a divorce) 24 years ago. There is no phone in it. It is a mess, but I find cleaning messy areas to be the ritual I need to really make art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love that little song!! Perfect and so very true!! I have two spaces. I have an area in my garage. It is great for my kiln and torches and things I don't want to do in the house but whenever I can be in the house I prefer it! In the house I do not have a room all to myself but I do have a space and it includes a desk sitting in front of a large window with a nice view and it is my absolute favourite place to be at sunset!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pictures somewhere of my first precious studio space when I was teaching full time. It was tiny: chair, table, bookshelf easel. And you could reach it all from the center of the room...

      Delete
  9. I have a whole room for my studio. It really resonated with me when you said you felt better having spent time with your stuff. Me too! I love being in the room and even just organizing the beads or whatever. I spend more time on weekends when I have longer stretches of unbroken time and can just work until I'm done. I have an idea in the back of my mind that I will make some studio space in my garage if I branch out into things that require more equipment. I do keep my tumbler in the basement.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.