Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Spiral Play - The Basics part 1

Did you ever want to play with seed beads but not sure where to start?  Thanks to the awesome and incredible AJE team they talked me into showing you an easy and fun stitch that can be transformed in so many ways.  I will first show you the basics in this post then in my next post I will show how to add focals and embellishment.

This is a spiral stitch.
Thank you Sue for letting me use your picture because for some reason I did not have a basic spiral stitch in my pictures.

So here we go.  First I will tell you that I only use Fireline 8lb test with a 3lb test diameter.  You can use Nymo or Superlon if you choose to.

Start with size 8 and 11 seed beads

I start with making the clasp loop that way I do not have to go back and put it on when I am done.

Pick up 7 size 8 beads. 


Tie a knot to secure the loop.


Pass your needle through 3 more beads after the knot.


Pick up 1 size 11 and pass through the next size 8 bead.  Repeat this 4 more times.


After adding the last size 11 bead pass through 2 size 8 beads.  This is your clasp loop.  I do this so that when adding a jump ring the ring will not slide out of because of an opening between the beads.


To start your spiral pick up 3 size 8 beads and 4 size 11 beads.


Pass your needle through the size 8 your thread exited and the 3 size 8's you just added.


Push your first completed loop to the side and pick up 1 size 8 and 4 size 11 beads.


Pass your needle through 2 of the size 8's added in the previous step and the size 8 just added.

Repeat picking up 1 size 8 and 4 size 11's.  You will always pass through the previous 2 core beads and the one added in each round.

 Here is what your spiral will look like as you go on.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Kristen

10 comments :

  1. love it! Maybe someday I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it look so easy! Have tons of seed beads since I make beaded flowers--have to go look and see if I have any 8s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use 11's as a core bead too it will make a smaller spiral.

      Delete
  3. I like doing spiral ropes. The idea of starting with the clasp loop is great. I am going to do that from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clasp loop! Brilliant. I can SO remember how to do that now with your clear directions! Thank you!

    Does it have to be 8's and 11's? Can it be all 11's? How would the numbers be different? May start one tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ropy look of this, I've been really attracted to that lately. It makes me think of Viking Knit and kumihimo. I bet it feels wonderful to run it through your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. Looks easy enough for even me to try it. Maybe I will....Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.