Thursday, December 6, 2012

Charmed, I am sure...

I have a pile of things on my work table to do, fix, alter, repair... One is a charm I made for my sister when my nephew, her firstborn, was ... well, born. It has his name, a star, and his birthstone (aquamarine) as well as a link of 4 stones - he was born on the 4th.



She has taken to wearing multiple charms on the same necklace, creating her own talisman, a power bundle that she can carry with her in the corporate world. I am reworking the original charm that sparked the idea, so it will hang better with others.


This got me thinking about charm holders. I have a "mojo" piece I made for myself - incorporating personal symbols of  my art, materials I use... (sea glass, gems, river stone, Antique doll arm, bone game piece " Happy in her studio", paintbrush. Currently missing - ceramic shard from Marsha )




And I took a browse over at Etsy to see what I could find. I was mainly looking for empty charm holders - thinking the fun is in building your own unique collection. Here is what caught my eye.

Amanda Davie - a FB friend of mine - has a great line of charm holders and charms. She has eclectic taste, a little Romantic, a little Boho, a little quirky. I love it!

Cindy at Hill Country Silver had great pieces in a variety of finishes. 

Beadspoint is a supply shop that I wasnt familiar with before now - but the lotus really caught my eye. 


Janne of Gothic Closet has such cool stuff. I love finding new artists on Etsy!
Leona/Lee's Whimsy has a very diverse shop, but I did like this one - with the Alphonse Mucha image! 




I think I may experiment with some charm holder designs in the future. I love the idea of building a necklace over time with items of meaning and significance. I think I need to make more. I may even feel a tutorial coming on...

Thanks for stopping by...
Jenny
www.jdaviesreazor.com





17 comments :

  1. Great idea Jenny - I'm getting into this style myself as I love the idea of keeping collected memento's close to you. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....this is a wonderful idea Jenny! Love the charm for your nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! These are all wonderful charm holders. Thanks so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love charm holders. A while back a dug out one from ages ago to put some things on and kept thinking - I should make one our of copper. Haven't done it yet! The charm for your nephew is really special.
    Susan Marling

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the examples and the ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love charm holders... I stamped my hubby and son's name on sterling discs and have been meaning to create a charm necklace with them and birthstones, etc. for ages and haven't done it yet. Maybe I will work on that next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your collection of charm jewellery is beautiful. I love to see handmade designs that are unique and original and your pieces are just that. The charm holders are a great idea and you are able to create your own unique jewellery deign slowly over time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all! I love creating jewelry with meaning, with intention, with a story. These really appeal to me, and I can see more in my future. They have definitely been bumped to the top of the "to do someday" list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. I used to wear a gold necklace with charms on a holder and loved it but the holders were so weak. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have two gold charm holders, but honestly the handcrafted are so much more beautiful to me! Thanks for a great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! My daughter wants a Wonderland Tea Party for her 45th birthday this year and naturally, I am in charge of the "favors". I was stumped until I saw this post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah! Teacups, hearts, spades, and flowers for all!

      Delete
  12. Hi, Jennifer! Thanks for giving me such a wonderful compliment by including my Mucha necklace in your blog!! I love all the charm holders and necklaces you included!!! Just another idea for your readers -- I have customized these charm holders with things ranging from personal photos to pieces of wedding dresses and christening gowns. You can really put a lot of different things in them!! Happy crafting/jewelry-making!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an awesome idea, Jenny. I have a little "shrine" in my studio that displays items of meaning to me. I like the idea of having your personal mojo around your neck. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda! I have shrines in every room! I build them in clay! We should do a shrine post next year...

      Delete
  14. I don't have a charm holder, but it's a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much Jenny---I LUV the happy in the studio piece! Great finds! amanda

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.